Lets face it, everybody needs some inspiration from time to time in finding ideas for what to photograph. So where do you go when you hit that block? I thought we would talk about a couple of my favorite places to look for ideas about what to photograph. Now I m not buy any means recommending let you go out and do exact copies of pictures that you find. What I am saying is you can use these places to find ideas for pictures by expanding on the concept behind the picture, or by improving on the picture. Nobody likes an exact copy of another picture, but if the original picture is poorly done and you feel you can do a better job then by all means redo the picture.
1. Magazines are great sources for ideas, they are in most waiting areas for you to browse. Don’t be afraid to look through magazine’s you would not normally read for fresh ideas.
2. TV/Videos are also good sources for ideas. For me, outdoor shows on the local channel give me a lot of ideas, because like me they are working on a limited budget. I also like watching movies with Scarlet Johansonn, but I usually end up distracted from looking for photo ideas for some reason.
3. Blogs, Forums, and other Websites can also be great sources for ideas. Find a website that is about your photography subject and see what type of pictures they use and what they are talking about.
4. Learning new techniques is a great way come up with new ideas for photos. Normally do landscapes? Try doing macro photography. Always do location shoot? Try some table top photography to learn what it is like working out of a garage or corner of your room. Learning new techniques is also a great way to expand your knowledge in the field you normally work in, even if they do not directly relate.
5. Go do something you enjoy. Come back a few days later with a fresh set of eyes and you just might be surprised what you see.
Do you have other ways to help you find new ideas? Leave a comment below, I would love to hear what helps you.